On the second Thursday of every month from February through December, art aficionados of all kinds stroll the streets of our bustling wharves and eclectic neighborhoods to experience the work of 25+ galleries.
The second Thursday of each month, February through December. 5-8pm.
Established in 2001 and now in its 15th year, Newport Gallery Night stands as first-hand evidence that Newport's art scene is alive and well. On the second Thursday of every month, art aficionados of all kinds stroll the streets of our bustling wharves and eclectic neighborhoods to experience the work of 25+ galleries. Participating galleries, museums and cultural institutions will be open from 5:00 - 8:00 pm. Some of the organizations you can visit include: Spring Bull Gallery, Blink Gallery, DeBlois Gallery, and Harbor Fine Art. A full list of participating galleries can be found here.
Special Happenings During May:
- This month marks the early return of the Newport Gallery Organization’s popular free guided walking art tours. The tours are an annual tradition and, because of their popularity in the past, the organization is extending the season and the tours will now run from May through October, weather permitting. There are three tours that run throughout Gallery Night. The first, starting at 5:00 pm will begin at C.L. Sherman’s Gallery and tour the Bellevue galleries. The second, starting at 6:00 pm will start at the Mariner Gallery and will tour some of the galleries on Spring Street. The last tour, starting at 7:00 pm will start at Arnold Art and will showcase the Thames Street galleries. Each tour group will meet in the starting gallery to wait for their artist guide, Sandy McDonald of Arnold Art, before setting off to learn more about Newport’s wonderful local galleries.
- Bailey Fine Art will be hosting an opening reception for their new exhibition, curated by high school senior Leander Corey. The show features work from students at the Met School and Rogers High School. Opening night is Gallery Night, May 12, from 5:00 – 8:00 pm. There will be light refreshments as well as an artist demonstration by Leander Corey at 6:00 pm.
- Spring Bull Gallery is hosting five award-winning artists: Susan Anderson, Wanda Perowska Coderre, Ethan French, Jason Fong and Pam Neil. This diverse group of artists have come together to promote and support the visual arts and will feature different viewpoints, approaches, expertise and mediums, resulting in the exhibition being titled “5 Perspectives.”
- Deblois Gallery is hosting 10 artists from the South New England Artists Community (SNAC), whose show will be held in a variety of mediums such as wood, sculpture, oil, pen and ink, watercolors, assemblages and photography.
View the current exhibition here, and for the old school participants: a map.
- Parking is free at the Newport Visitor Center and Newport Art Museum
- Don't forget to ask the galleries you visit for a Newport Gallery Night Restaurant Discount Coupon. After you've finished exploring the arts and embracing the cultures, visit one of the following Newport Restaurants for a discount on your meal:
The Conservatory at Vanderbilt Grace - 15% off food Hyatt Regency Newport - Complimentary dessert or appetizer with entre Mamma Luisa - 15% off dinner Newport Blues Cafe - 2 for 1 entres One Bellevue at The Hotel Viking - 20% off food Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt - $3.00 off purchase of $10.00 or more Sardellas - 15% off food The Spiced Pear at The Chanler - 20% 4 course food/wine dinner Tallulah on Thames 10% off entire bill White Horse Tavern - 10% off dinner
For more information, visit DiscoverNewport.org/EventsCalendar