You say "Clams", we say "Quahogs"...
What better way to celebrate our favorite molluscs, than an entire week dedicated to our native friend. CRU Cafe in Newport is whipping up a special Rhode Island Quahog Chowder that has us grinning from ear to ear. Believe it or not...they are sharing their delicious recipe with us...what lucky clams we are:
CRU Cafe Rhode Island Quahog Chowder
- 1 Gallon of Narragansett Bay Quahogs, raked, cleaned, steamed, shucked and chopped
- 1 Quart Each of Fresh Onions, Carrots, Celery, Potatoes - rinsed and diced uniformly
- Just enough fresh garlic, onion powder, black pepper, dry oregano
- The 1 day old grease of 4 sheet pans of Applewood Smoked Bacon
- Using 20 years of experience gleaned from great chefs from all over New England, add ingredients into a special pot reserved for only the finest soups, stews and chowders.
- Add 2 cups of good attitude, 2 tablespoons of fond memories of the sea, 6 ounces of
- sharing (you will be giving out tastes along the way)
- Next add lots and lots of love, also known as stirring, remembering the whole time, you will be warming up someone's day with a bowl of this special chowder.
This may seem like a lot of ingredients for a simple chowder, but it will be well worth it.
Oh, by the way, you can only get it at CRU Cafe Newport.
Want to see what other molluscs mania is happening in the Ocean State?