28 oz High Quality Fresh Ahi Tuna Spring Vegetables
Add the following to a 8 Qt. High-Sided Pot:
- 2 whole globe artichokes (good quality longstem marinated artichokes are fine for home use), trimmed, quartered and soaked in acidulated water (lemon).
- 1 medium sized carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium sized onion, peeled and julienne
- 2 fennel tops, fronds removed for garnish, stalks thinly sliced
- 3 clove garlic, smashed
- 2 lemons, halved and squeezed lime, squeezed
- Strong pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Dash Espelette pepper
- 1 tbsp salt gallon water
How To Make It
Simmer all ingredients 20 minutes then checking every 5 to 10 minutes for tenderness, then add the fava beans to warm. 1 lb shelled fava beans, blanched and rinsed Reserve aside and add a pat of butter if you wish for richness. 1 cup cooked black barley cup basil pesto, fresh made Reserved broth from artichoke braise
For the Tuna: Divide the tuna steak into 4 evenly portioned and shaped pieces. Lightly coat the outside of the tuna with canola oil. Then season with salt and fresh ground pepper. Warm a medium to large flat bottom saut pan to medium high heat, add 1 tbsp canola oil and a pat of butter. Sear all sides of the tuna to desired rareness.
Plate: In a large bottom pasta bowl, place a mixture of the spring vegetables, pesto broth, and black barley.
Strawberry Banana Daquiri
By: Alex Brandariz, Beverage Director of the White Horse Tavern
- 3 oz Strawberry and Herb Infused Dark Rum (Local Preferred)
- 1 oz Banana Liqueur oz Lime Juice, Fresh
- oz of geat almond syrup
Pour over ice, shake, and strain over fresh ice.