Newport Jazz Festival began back in 1954 as the first outdoor music festival of its kind completely and utterly devoted to Jazz. That year brought big names in the genre like the famed Billy Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald. In the 61 years since, the festival has produced some of the most influential performances in jazz history, from Miles Davis's 1955 solo on "'Round Midnight" and the Duke Ellington Orchestra's lengthy 1956 performance of "Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue." And just the same, we're sure 2016 will bring no shortage of inspirational appearances.
This year's festival returns to Fort Adam State Park and the International Tennis Hall of Fame at the Newport Casino on Friday, July 29 - Sunday, July 31, 2016 with a robust line up of big names in jazz, from ragtime piano to a number of progressive offerings. Artists also include but certainly are not limited to Norah Jones, Chick Corea Trilogy with Christian McBride and Brian Blade, Gregory Porter, Angelique Kidjo and many more.
General admission tickets gain you entry into the fort, with lawn seats available at each of the stages on a first come, first serve basis. Tickets can be purchased online, by phone at 800-875-3000 or in person at The Newport Visitor Center.
|FRIDAY||SATURDAY & SUNDAY|
|Adult, at the gate||$89|
|Children, ages 3-15||$15||$15|
Note: General admission two-day ticket passes are available for Saturday and Sunday for $145. General admission three-day passes are $170.
The following lineups have been provided by newportjazzfestival.com
When hunger strike in between sets, peruse a lengthy offering of food (and crafts, too!) vendors throughout the festival site, then head to the beer garden for a sampling of local beer offerings.
Note: The following list is simple a sampling - more food vendors will be present on site. For a complete list, visit newportjazzfestival.com
- Acacia Café Food Truck: Sandwiches including grilled shrimp Bahn Mai and Tandoori chicken on naan – both gluten-free when served on greens instead of bread. Black bean burger w/salsa and cold Asian noodles with organic veggies as vegan options.
- Ben’s Chili Dogs: Hot dogs with or without chili, sauerkraut, or cheese. Hamburgers, cheeseburgers, chili burgers, and chili/cheese burgers.
- Del's Lemonade: Soft frozen lemonade.
- Dockside Scoops: Ice Cream Bars, Cones and Cups.
- Fancheezical: Gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches, BBQ, corn-in- a-cup, fiesta salad, and watermelon.
- Fully Rooted: Raw, cold-pressed juices of various combinations using carrots, celery, cucumbers, ginger, green apples, lemons, local beets, local kale, spinach, cayenne and wheatgrass.
- Inpopnito: Buttered popcorn, wide variety of flavored popcorn such as sea spray caramel, salt & vinegar, and Newport cheddar.
- Rhode Rage Food Truck: Sweet potato fries; sesame crusted tuna salad; smoked shaved beef sandwich; blackened fish taco; chorizo & peppers sandwich.
- Talulah's Tacos: Traditional Mexican street food using “farm to taco” mobile cart featuring beef, vegetarian black bean, pork, and chicken burritos. All tacos are gluten free.
- The Coffee Guy: Hot & cold brewed coffee, iced latte, iced chai latte, iced tea, power and granola bars, and biscotti.
- The Nutty Bavarian: Glazed and salted nuts: Almonds, cashews, macadamia, peanuts, and pecans.
Parking is available on site at Fort Adams State Park.
At the gate: $15
At the gate: $20
At the gate: $20
Two day parking passes for Saturday and Sunday are available for $24, and three day parking passes for Friday, Saturday and Sunday are available for $36.