Dispute us if you can, but time spent outdoors is even better when there's live music involved. Luckily for us (that means you, too!), summertime in Newport is synonymous with outdoor concerts. Added bonus: most of them are free of charge. From oldies by the ocean at Easton's Beach to indie varieties for a good cause at Evelyn's Drive-In Singing Out Against Hunger summer concerts, to themed-music nights with a menu to match at Sweet Berry Farm, these al fresco melodies are a must-experience for the summer.
1. Long Wharf Concert Series
Meander through the shops at Long Wharf Mall in the heart of downtown all the while enjoying free live music. Concert series are held every Saturday from 1:00 - 5:00 PM.
- July 9: Carlos v Ramos
- July 16: Japanese Drimmers
- July 23: Ryan Charles
- July 30: Vessela Stoyanova
- August 6: Zan Ricky
- August 13: Lee Philips and Friends
- August 20: Drunken Logic
- August 27: Half Step Down
- September 3: Abbey Rhode
- September 4: Ben Knight
- September 10: Becky Chase Band
- September 17: Amy Kucharik
- September 24: In Tandem
- October 1: D'Rafael
- October 8: Abbey Rhode
Lobster rolls aren't the only thing Evelyn's Drive-In is serving up this summer. Tiverton’s iconic clam shack is debuting a Friday evening concert series to benefit Singing Out Against Hunger, a charity that provides food to East Bay residents in need.
- Friday, July 15: Doug Mills, Margaret Ferri, Trial and Error, and Seamus Galligan & Mike Heffernan
- Friday, August 19: Clara Maurer, Gary Fish, Darren & Chris
- Friday, September 9: Makayla and the Little Necks, and Glass Bottom Boat
3. Music Month at Ballard Park
For the seventh year, Jenkins Construction Company of Middletown presents Music Month at Ballard Park. The series includes four free concerts by a diverse group of bands including The Navy Band Northeast, The Ubiquitones, the Toe Jam Puppet Band and Chelley, Bill & Dyl.
All of the Jenkins Construction Music Month concerts will be held in Ballard Park’s quarry meadow off of Hazard Road. Seating for all concerts is on the grass so event goers are advised to bring a blanket or lawn chair on which to sit. There is rugged terrain so sturdy shoes are also recommend. Picnic dinners are welcome and parking is available on Hazard Road. Allow fifteen minutes to park and make your way into the quarry meadow.
- Wednesday, July 6: The Navy Band Northeast; 7:00 - 8:30 PM -- Navy Band Northeast performs free public concerts highlighting musical selections meant to inspire patriotism and entertain audiences of all ages. The ceremonial band will open with twenty minutes of patriotic music followed by a performance by Navy Band Northeast’s rock band, Rhode Island Sound, playing everything from classic rock to today’s Top 40 hits.
- Wednesday, July 13: The Ubiquitones; 7:00 - 8:30 PM -- Their motto, "Johnny Cash to The Clash. George Jones to the Ramones" accurately captures the wide breadth of music this talented group of musicians performs – classic rock, roots, blues and outlaw country with some swing and surf music sprinkled in. The band features Greg Burgess on guitar and vocals, Steve Burke on keyboards and vocals, Dean Cassell on bass, Klem Klimek on sax and vocals and Mike Warner on drums and vocals. All four have performed or currently perform with well-known Rhode Island bands including John Cafferty & the Beaver Brown Band, NRBQ and Roomful of Blues.
- Wednesday, July 20: Toe Jam Puppet Band; 10:00 AM -- The Toe Jam Puppet Band encourages kids and parents to sing and dance along with the band as they entertain with a unique combination of original songs, shadow puppetry and storytelling.
- Wednesday, July 20: Chelley, Bill & Dyl; 7:00 - 8:30 PM -- Whether singing the blues, rock, reggae or pop, Chelley Smith always ties the melodies together with style and soul while Dylan Roy on bass and Bill Cote on guitar offer audiences a swinging good time.
4. Easton's Beach Family Night Concert Series
Live music with an ocean view is the agenda for Easton's Beach Family Night Concert Series every Tuesday through August. All shows begin at 6:00 PM and last for approximately an hour and a half.
- June 28: Abbey Rhode Beatles Era -- Free carousel rides sponsored by Bill & Pauline Buckley in memory of their granddaughter Brigid Kelly.
- July 5: The Jesse Liam Band Pop, Country & R&B
- July 19: Chicago Total Access Chicago Tribute Band
- July 26: Nickel Jukebox Motown
- August 2: Rockin Soul Horns 8 pieces, Sinatra to Bruno Mars
- August 9: Dick Lupino Band Variety: Jazz, Oldies and Motown -- Free carousel rides sponsored by Bernard and Doris Nemtzow
5. Sweet Berry Farm Summer Dinner & Concert Series
The 100-acre post and beam farm market in Middletown is hosting a Summer dinner and concert series featuring a dinner menu to complement the provided live music. Relish in tunes provided by Lois Vaughn Jazz with the theme "Wherever you go, you are home" while you savor comfort dishes like Mama's chicken noodle soup, apple brined stuffed pork chop, smokey mountain brown rice and more. Oldies lovers can enjoy music from the 50's through 80's by The Villanaires while enjoying "Old Thyme Kitchen Grub" including chicken pot pie, corn on the cob and chocolate pudding cake. From a Beatles Tribute Band to a "cool night in N'Orlins," savor each night.
Admission to all concerts is free. Specialty dinners prepared by Chef Scott Amaral are available along with many other food items from the café. Picnic tables are reserved for meal ticket holders only and on a first come basis. Meal tickets can be reserved by calling ahead. 401.847.3912 Bring your lawn chairs or blankets. Concert goers must park in designated parking lot only. Please do not park in front of farm market.
- July 5: Abbey Rhode Beatles Tribute Band 6:00 - 8:00 PM
- "Southern Comfort": Chicken & sausage biscuit; Rustic roasted sweet taters; Carrots with sauteed leeks and pecans; Chocolate mint pudding cup.
- July 12: Big Cat Blues 6:00 - 8:00 PM
- "Food from the Four Corners": Caesar salad; Santa Fe meatloaf; Roasted garlic & herb cornbread; Mexicali stuffed tomato; Orange scented flan.
- July 18: Elderly Brothers Music from the 50's & 60's 6:00 - 8:00 PM
- "Someone's Backyard from Back When!!": Caprese kebab, New England codfish served over Jammin' Johnny cakes, Green bean amandine; Coffee cabinet whoopie pie.
- July 26: Liv & Let Liv Duo American Contemporary 6:00 - 8:00 PM
- "Cool Nights in N'Orlins": Garden goat salad with Boursin dressing; Muffuletta sandwich; Creole slaw; Bananas foster cake.
- August 2: Back Eddy Blues 6:00 - 8:00 PM
- "Dinner as Cool as the Fonz": Watermelon soup; Raspberry peach chicken salad; Greek pasta salad; Zesty zucchini spaghetti; Shortcake
- August 9: 6 Diggit Music From the Last 5 Decades 5:30 - 7:30 PM
- "The Germans Are Coming, The Germans Are Coming": Garlic butter pretzel; Pork Jaeger schnitzel; Awesome potato roasties; Roasted apple bacon spinach bake; Kugel
- August 16: Jessie Liam Top 40 Hits - mixed genre from the 50's to current 5:30 - 7:30 PM
- "Summertime Harvest Dinner": Tomato corn harvest soup; Summer time stuffed sole; Craisin rice pilaf; Cucumber salad; Chipwich
- August 23: The Villainaires 50's, 60's 70's and 80's 5:30 - 7:30 PM
- "Old Thyme Kitchen Grub": Green garden salad; Chicken pot pie; Corn on the cob; Chocolate pudding cake
- August 30: Lois Vaughn Jazz
- "Wherever You Go, You Are At Home": Mama's chicken noodle soup; Apple brined stuffed pork chop; Smokey mountain brown rice; Roasted vegetables; Lemon square.
6. NIMFest at King Park
The 10th Annual NIMFest at King Park will take place in the park gazebo on Wellington Avenue offering unparalleled views of Newport Harbor. Presented by the City of Newport, concerts are held on Sundays from 3:00 - 6:00 PM through August. All concerts are free of charge, just bring your lawn chair or a blanket!
- July 10: Gumpton & Glory, Outer Earth, JP Jones
- July 17: Bob kendall Band, Allysen Callery
- July 24: Cherish the Ladies
- July 31: Mac Chrupcala Jazz Band, La Mechante Et Le Connard
- August 7: Tribute to Newport Slim: Cabooble, Big Cat Blues, Leslie Grimes, Matt Bruneau
- August 14: The Gnomes, Joyce Katzberg
- August 21: Abbey Rhode, Kane Brothers
- August 28: Chelley, Bill & Dyl; Zan Ricky
7. Newport Vineyards Concert Series
Newport Vineyards presents their live music series among the vines. Savor their locally crafted wine during a wine tasting or purchase a bottle and sit outside on the patio. All music is offered on Saturdays and Sundays 1:00 - 4:00 PM.
- July 2: The Kane Brothers
- July 3: Tom Burgess
- July 9: Pat Cottrell
- July 10: Ed Pepe Trio
- July 16: John Monllos and Joanne Rodino
- July 17: The Kane Brothers
- July 23: Ron Valcourt
- July 24: Brian Scott
- July 30: Kevin Greene
- July 31: Pat Cottrell