NCAA March Madness is coming to The Ocean State's capital city! Providence will welcome the 2016 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship for First/Second Rounds on March 17 & 19, 2016 at the Dunkin' Donuts Center, hosted by Providence College.
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 16
Open Practice Sessions:
- 11 am: Gates Open
- 12 - 12:40 pm: Game 1 Lower Seed Practice
- 12:25 - 1:25 pm: Game 2 Lower Seed Practice
- 1:30 - 2:10 pm: Game 1 Higher Seed Practice
- 2:15 - 2:55 pm: Game 2 Higher Seed Practice
- 4:25 - 5:05 pm: Game 3 Higher Seed Practice
- 5:10 - 5:50 pm: Game 4 Higher Seed Practice
- 5:55 - 6:35 pm: Game 3 Lower Seed Practice
- 6:40 - 7 pm: Game 4 Lower Seed Practice
THURSDAY, MARCH 17
- Game 1: Duke vs. UNC Wilmington - 12:15 pm
- Game 2: Baylor vs. Yale (After conclusion of Game 1)
- Game 3: Miami vs. Buffalo - 6:50 pm
- Game 4: Arizona vs. Vanderbilt/Wichita State (After conclusion of Game 3)
FRIDAY, MARCH 18
Friday is a free day as there are no games schedule. We suspect you'll be in one of two states: 1. Ready to celebrate your team's victory from Thursday or 2. Dare we say, mourning their loss. If you're in the unfortunate latter state, you're still in luck - the cure to everything is the sea. We'll be here waiting for you, whether just for the day or a weekend of recovery.
Norman Bird Sanctuary presents the Newport String Project | March 18
Join the Norman Bird Sanctuary for an evening by the fire with The Newport String Project. Listen to the prose of some of the great nature writers melded with fiddle and classical music as Fiddlers EmmaLee Holmes-Hicks and Rachel Panitch, along with guitarist Mike Sokolovsky deliver a toe-tapping performance sprinkled with all the surprise and intrigue of improvisational music. Details.
Slam Dunk Waterfire Event | March 18
Basin lightings include the circle of twenty-two braziers in the Waterplace Park Basin and the twelve braziers leading up to the Providence Place mall. Partial lightings include all of the braziers from Providence Place Mall to Steeple Street. Details.
Improv Comedy with The Bit Players | March 18-19
RI's most award-winning comedy troupe hits the stage with their hilarious improv show full of larger than life characters, hysterical musical numbers, & the quickest wit. Details.
Hotel Viking Wine Festival | March 19
A sequence of exceptional winemaker-hosted dinners at Hotel Viking's One Bellevue restaurant, featuring some of the top personalities from the world of wine. All dinners start at 7pm. Details.
Visit the Newport Mansions
The Breakers, The Elms, and Marble House are each open on Friday and ready to welcome you with Gilded Age enchantment. Stay for the weekend and explore Chateau sur mer and Kingscote which reopen for the season on Saturday.
Explore the Cliff Walk
The renowned 3.5-mile path combines the natural beauty of Newport’s stunning coastline with the architectural history of the Gilded Age. Because there's no better way to soak up the beginning of Spring than with panoramic ocean views and a little bit of sea breeze.
SATURDAY, MARCH 19
- Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 2 - Time TBD
- Winner Game 3 vs. Winner Game 4 - Time TBD
Don't forget to share your photos and experiences with the official hashtags: