Oysters lovingly cultivated in the Ocean State will be paired with the world’s most beloved champagne during the Newport Oyster Festival, May 19 - 21. Share a #MoetMoment at historic Bowen’s Wharf on the waterfront while celebrating Rhode Island's aquaculture alongside 20 growers, eateries and exhibitors.
Participating restaurants including The Wharf Pub, The Landing, Speakeasy Bar & Grill and Matunuck Oyster Bar will serve their most celebrated dishes, available for purchase. Meander the exhibitors, catch a glimpse of the shucking contest, meet with aquaculture educators on site, sip chilled champagne at a specialty Moët bar plus specialty cocktails including a Bloody Mary Seafood Bar, spirits, wine, beer, and soft drinks will also be available. Relax at café-style seating set up throughout the Wharf next to the live music stage featuring six bands.
Bowen’s Wharf will again incorporate total trash, recycling and compostable receptacles, plus the support necessary to accomplish proper separation in conjunction with Island Rubbish and The Compost Plant. Additionally, The Nature Conservancy of RI is working with Bowen’s Wharf Co. to ensure that the oyster shells from the festival are collected and incorporated into their ongoing reef-building projects. In 2016 the festival produced more than two tons of oyster shells that went back in the water to build new reefs in South County.
A NIGHT OF OYSTERS AND CHAMPAGNE ON THE WATERFRONT
Date: Friday, May 19
Time: 6:00 - 8:30 PM
Mingle with eight different growers shucking under the lights and festival tents. Moet Mini’s will create the sparkle for a memorable and informational marriage of “merroir” and tasting notes. Featured oyster growers are: 401 Oyster Co., Aquidneck Oyster Co., Cedar Island Oyster Co, East Beach Farm, Jonathan Island Oyster Co, Venus Oyster Co, .Salt Ponds Oyster Co, Block Island’s Sun Farm Oysters, and Walrus & Carpenter Oysters. With live, acoustic Caribbean music throughout the evening, the Newport Oyster Festival Opening Night Party will again benefit the Ocean State Aquaculture Association and SSV Oliver Hazard Perry.
- Ticket Price: $150. Limited to 200 people.
- Included in Ticket Price: All-you-can-eat freshly shucked oysters, open bar. Curated cocktails will feature Ardbeg, Belvedere, Don Julio, Bulleit, Tanqueray, Captain Morgan in collaboration with Rhode Island Distributing & Hospitality Solutions. With a true ocean (or pond)-to-table experience, guests will be served signature Oyster Festival drinks and a variety of catered delicacies.
BIVALVES BY THE WATER
Date: Saturday, May 20 - Sunday, May 21
Time: Two time slots available daily: 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM or 2:00 - 5:00 PM
The Bowen’s Wharf Newport Oyster Festival, presented by Moët & Chandon, will feature Rhode Island aquaculture. Taste your way around Rhode Island with oysters from 12 different growers and four restaurants featuring flavors unique to the Ocean State.
- Ticket Price: $27 in advance, $35 at the door; children 12 and under are free.
- Two time slots available daily: 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM or 2:00 - 5:00 PM
- Included in Ticket Price: Four fresh, Rhode Island oysters and a beverage, live music, event program & tasting notes, contests with prizes from sponsors such as Kiel James Patrick, Grace Windsor, Newport Harbor Hotel and more.
Tickets for additional oysters will be sold on site, in addition to a full bar and food provided by local restaurants, which will also be available for purchase.
Admission is based on available space under the tents.
The Newport Oyster Festival is a rain or shine event with Sponsors including Moët & Chandon, Ardbeg, Belvedere, The Diageo Brand (Bulleit, Don Julio, Captain Morgan, Tanqueray), Whaler’s Brewing Company & Coole Swan.