The world's most grueling and exciting ocean race makes its return to Newport, the only North American stopover throughout its nine-month excursion, on May 8 - 20, 2018. Volvo Ocean Race, renowned as the world's premier offshore race and an exceptional test of sailing prowess and human endeavor, will arrive at Fort Adams alongside exciting events and activities.
When: May 8 - 20, 2018
Where: Fort Adams State Park
ABOUT THE RACE
The Volvo Ocean Race is the most challenging sailboat race in the world, held every three years and requiring from athletes extreme levels of courage, strength, endurance and intelligence. Life on board a Volvo Ocean Race boat, called a Volvo Ocean 65, is as extreme as it gets, and is marked by "unbearable temperatures, hostile weather and rough sailing conditions, constant dampness, sleep deprivation, one pair of clothes, restricted communications with the outside world and sustained competitiveness."
The Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18 consists of 11 offshore legs across 45,000 nautical miles around the world, crossing four oceans, touching six continents and reaching 12 landmark host cities.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT?
FOLLOW THE RACE
- Download the app for iOS and android.
- Visit volvooceanracenewport.com for an up-to-minute conversation and more details.
- Sign up for live updates.
- Tune-in to Coast 93.3 FM and WADK for interviews and messages on the stopover.
- WJAR TV Watch our media partner channel 10 for the promotional spots and integration with their programming as we get closer to the stopover.
- Outside Television check your listings for Monday night show times.
- Watch the Newport Daily News for their stories on the race as our newspaper media partner.
PREVIEW THE ACTION
Tag your photos #NPTRightNow and #VORNewport for the chance to be featured on our accounts.