If you've got a thing for history-altering performances and a pantheon of artists whose scope of musical talents range from folk and blues to indie folk, country and bluegrass, then you probably want to make your way down to Newport Folk Festival. Since its inception in 1959, the Folk Fest has brought together artists and fans for some of the most accomplished live performances in music history, from Bob Gibson in '59 and Dylan in '63 to recent headliners The Avett Brothers, Edward Sharpe, Jackson Browne and more.
At each year's end, we find ourselves wondering how next year will top the prior's, until the lineup is released and we again find ourselves mystified in all the right ways. This year brings big names like Norah Jones, Elvis Costello, Alabama Shakes and many more.
Now onto the big stuff: How to dress the part.
1. First and foremost, flow and fringe will be your best friends. Dance the day away in comfort - our favorite way to dance. Plus, fabulous hats are essentially a Folk Fest must.
Chace N' Lulu, 17 Bowen's Wharf, Newport
2. Speaking of hats, we weren't kidding: You'll want one, and this summertime beauty is the perfect combo of fashion and sun-blocking convenience.
FatFace, 172 Thames Street, Newport
3. The beauty of a simple jean paired with a boho-chic top, that can be styled with pretty much anything and still look chic.
Laura Jean Denim, 198 Bellevue Ave, Newport
4. Like this necklace. Because we told you - Folk Fest would not be Folk Fest without fringe.
Cheateau & Bungalow, 106 William Street, Newport
5. Or this colorful woven clutch.
Port & Paddock, 400 Thames Street, Newport
6. If there was ever a time to flaunt these vibrant pom pom sandals, it is now.
Sole Desire, 131 Swinburne Row, Newport
7. This one may be obvious, but still - we're just looking out. Sunglasses are a must for your Folk Fest arsenal.
Coast to Country Outfitters, 477 Thames Street, Newport
8. Consider rompers your BFF. First, because they are stylish and chic, and second, because you don't have the worry about the ocean breeze blowing your skirt places where it should not be blown.
Chez Shell, 408 Thames Street, Newport
9. Jean shorts, lace top & an adorable bag: the divine trinity.
Kristina Richards Studio, 108 Williams Street, Newport
10. Chambray - for when it's too hot for denim. Plus, the detailing on this romper is Folk Fest perfect.
Kristina Richards Studio, 17 Touro Street, Newport
11. There's nothing we can do but let these speak for themselves.
Mandarine Boutique, 1 Bannister's Wharf, Newport
Ten Pounds of Feathers