Discover Newport is a non-profit destination management organization dedicated to the promotion of the City of Newport and its eight surrounding townships in Newport and Bristol Counties Rhode Island including Barrington, Bristol, Jamestown, Little Compton, Middletown, Newport, Portsmouth, Tiverton and Warren as a premiere destination for business and leisure travel.
Apply for the available positions
To apply for available positions, please e-mail your cover letter and resume to AAdkins@DiscoverNewport.org. No phone calls please.
Discover Newport considers applications for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other classification protected by Federal, state, or local law.
The Newport Visitor Information Specialist will be responsible for overseeing the Newport Visitor Information Center and ensuing the epitome in customer service for visitors, residents, and industry partners to the location. Responsible for positively promoting the many hospitality sectors throughout our nine coastal communities; Barrington, Bristol, Jamestown, Little Compton, Middletown, Newport, Portsmouth, Tiverton and Warren, Rhode Island. This is a part-time seasonal position. This position reports to the Vice President of Marketing.
Responsibilities to include but not limited to:
- This position requires physical presence at the Newport Visitor Information Center and/or remote locations throughout our nine coastal communities.
- Always greet visitors with a smile and project a pleasant attitude. Be courteous, helpful, and professional always.
- Ensure all visitor/residents requests for information via e-mail, telephone, be fulfilled in a timely manner. Mailroom duties for fulfillment.
- Maintain the Visitor Information Center to ensure it is clean, sanitized and appealing to the visitor. Following all COVID 19 protocols. (vacuum, trash removal, wipe down all surfaces)
- Stay well informed regarding attractions, events, activities, restaurants, retail shops, lodging, and transportation developments of interest to visitors to provide them with the most current information and trip planning assistance.
- Maintain and track inventory of brochure/map stock and keep racks neat and full. Contact industry partners to replenish stock when low.
- Assist in the distribution of Discover Newport brochures and promotional materials to lodging properties, airport, statewide visitor centers and other distribution sites.
- Track and generate monthly visitor counts to the center and deliver periodic information surveys as directed.
- You are expected to wear the designated uniform provided to you, and to always project a businesslike image while on duty.
- Assist your direct supervisor and perform any other duties as may be assign to you.
- Friendly, helpful demeanor, with a cooperative attitude.
- Excellent spoken and written English skills.
- Knowledge of Bristol and Newport Counties in relation to hospitality
- Ability to work a varied schedule as required.
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Experience in a fast-paced, high-end hospitality environment
- Intermediate computer skills: Proficient in the use of a PC in a networked environment to include in MS Office products: Word, Excel, and Outlook. Also proficient with and iPad.
- Foreign language skills
- Experience in the hospitality industry
Additional Eligibility Qualifications: Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle to be used for business use.
To apply for available positions, please e-mail your cover letter and resume to AAdkins@DiscoverNewport.org. No phone calls please. Posting date: 3/9/2021