Press Trip Guidelines
Be our guest! We’re grateful for your interest in Newport and our eight surrounding coastal communities. Discover Newport assists journalists with travel-related pieces about our destination by crafting customized itineraries featuring cultural attractions, mansions, museums, tours by land and sea and other noteworthy landmarks. Please read our guidelines below.
Discover Newport requires visiting journalists be a credentialed member of the media. A letter of assignment and/or direct links to previous work samples may be required.
• Discover Newport consistently receives media trip requests. We assess each request on an individual basis but cannot guarantee assistance will be provided on a complimentary basis.
• We request a minimum of 2 business weeks’ notice prior to your press visit. This allows us to pursue available lodging and plan an itinerary to enhance your visit. However, if you need urgent assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
• Complimentary arrangements are provided at the discretion of the host businesses and are subject to availability. Peak season travel may necessitate a press rate at hotels, inns or B&Bs.
• Discover Newport is unable to provide airfare. Ground transportation, once in our destination, may be available as is public transportation.
• Our primary goal is assisting working press. Accommodating spouses, children and visitors accompanying working press is at the discretion of Discover Newport partners.
Broadcast (TV and radio) journalists seeking complimentary accommodations and assistance must be affiliated with a travel radio program or travel-focused television show and have a written letter/email of assignment stating that they have been assigned to produce a specific travel segment for said travel radio program or travel-focused television show.
Freelance travel writers should submit a written letter/email of assignment and the contact information of the assigning editor. Freelancers without a specific assignment may submit 4-5 travel articles published within the past 12 months in mainstream travel publications that carry the journalist’s byline.
Independent Travel Bloggers should have well-established travel blogs that are regularly updated and have a broad subscriber base. Discover Newport will determine approval based on respective blog’s focus, reach, content and style. Independent travel bloggers should submit a link to the blog and its current Google PageRank or Alexa ranking, and should provide the number of subscribers/unique visitors per month and/or the number of followers on their respective social media outlets.
Email your request, including the name of the media outlet, the dates you will be traveling and any other relevant details (number in travel party, story angle, etc.) to Andrea McHugh.
Again, thank you for your interest in Newport, the shining gem in the coastal crown of New England, where there’s a story around every corner. We look forward to working with you!