Once a year, visitors and residents alike are allowed to cross the Newport Bridge on foot during the Citizens Bank Pell Bridge Run returning this year on October 22, 2017. Open to both runners and walkers, the run is a four-mile excursion from Jamestown to Newport produced by the Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority. One hundred percent of proceeds go to support local not-for-profits organizations while promoting a healthy, active lifestyle.
When: The race will be held on October 22, 2016 at 7:15 AM.
Where: Race starts in Jamestown and ends in Downtown Newport.
The following information is courtesy of the Citizen's Bank Pell Bridge Run.
|May 1 - July 31||$45.00|
|August 1 - September 30||$50.00|
|October 1 - October 19||$55.00|
|Onsite (October 20 - 21)||$65.00|
Entry fees include shuttle transportation, an official event shirt and finish line food and beverage. Although additional charitable fundraising is appreciated, no additional fundraising is required to participate in the run/walk. More registration details.
Runners and walkers will be asked to organize by pace time with elite runners going off first and walkers going last. We ask all participants to align themselves by the appropriate pace so we can ensure a smooth race. There will be volunteers and members of the race staff assisting with the pacing process.
- First Wave (7:15 AM): 9 minute pace and faster
- Second Wave (7:18 AM): 9 to 11 minute pace
- Third Wave (7:22 AM): 11 to 14 minute pace
- Fourth Wave (7:27 AM): 15 minute pace and slower
Rhode Island State Police will escort traffic over the Pell Bridge during the race in the East bound high speed lanes while runners/walkers will only have the right lane on the bridge to run/walk. It is critical to the success of the event and for the safety of all participants that you remain in the right lane throughout the race. Participants are also asked to resist delaying for too long at the top of the bridge to take photographs.
PARKING & SHUTTLES
- Parking: There is no parking at the race start in Jamestown. All runners must use the shuttles from Newport or be dropped off at the designated athlete drop off locations. Parking Locations Map.
- Free parking will be available at the Gateway Center until 9:30 AM.
- Shuttles: Shuttles will run from the Newport Visitor Center in downtown Newport to the race starting line in Jamestown beginning at 5:30 AM.
- Drop Off Location: Athletes wishing to be dropped off near the starting line coming from Newport will take the East Shore Rd exit just after the toll plaza and head north on East Shore Road until they arrive at the designated drop off location.
FOOD & BEVERAGE
Water, hot chocolate and coffee will be offered at the starting line in Jamestown, and an on-course water stop will be provided at the base of the Pell Bridge in Newport. Enjoy a post race festival at the Newport Yachting Center. Participants will be provided with water, bagels and fruit in a designated athlete only tent.
For more information, visit pellbridgerun.com
Featured Image Photo Credit: Jonathan Clancy, Clancy Creative