Newport is blessed with some pretty dreamy weather most months out of the year. Plenty of sea breeze and sunny locales make for picnic-worthy settings all around town.
This year welcomes the return of the picnic experience at the former summer "cottages" of America's wealthiest, the Newport Mansions, and it’s designed for people who want to enjoy the coast's perfect weather alongside some of the most stunning architecture and garden scapes in New England. The Preservation Society of Newport County’s “Stroll the Gardens and Grounds” gives visitors the opportunity to picnic on the historic landscapes of The Breakers and Marble House in Newport, and Green Animals Topiary Garden in Portsmouth.
This experience will begin on Friday, April 16 at Green Animals Topiary Garden and Marble House, and extend to The Breakers just before Memorial Day Weekend. Tickets include outdoor-only access to all three properties, and do not include interior entry to The Breakers, The Elms or Brayton House at Green Animals.
When you're ready, we can't wait to welcome you back to The Classic Coast. Rest assured, local restaurants, shops, and businesses are doing everything they can to ensure the safety of all. This includes wearing mandatory face coverings, following guidelines put in place by health and government officials, and implementing stringent cleaning practices.
All we ask when you land on these shores is that you play your part in keeping everyone safe. Please be kind, wear a mask, wash your hands, and maintain six feet of social distancing from others.
- Marble House: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM, with last admission at 4:00 PM
- Green Animals: 10:00 AM - sunset, with last admission at 7:00 PM
- The Breakers: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM, with last admission at 5:00 PM
$18 for adults and $8 for youth ages 6-17. Ticket includes outdoor-only access to all three properties, which can be visited on different days.
Tickets available starting April 14 through NewportMansions.org.
LOCAL PICNIC IDEAS:
Pack a blanket and don't forget the most important part: the food. These local spots have just what you need for a picture-perfect picnic.
- Cheshire picnic basket with flatware, plates, wine glasses, etc.: Newport Mansions Store
- Green plaid lawn blanket: Newport Mansions Store
- Votes for Women Tea Towel: Newport Mansions Store
- Newport Coordinate Wine Glasses: Primavera Newport
- Newport Coffee Growler: The Nitro Bar
- Fruit + cookies: Sweet Berry Farm
- Wine: Newport Vineyards | Greenvale Vineyards
- Charcuterie Board: Sharing the Taste
- Honey: Aquidneck Honey
Tag your photos #TheClassicCoast for the chance to be featured on our accounts.