Here in Newport, we're blessed with some pretty dreamy weather most months out of the year. Plenty of sea breeze and sunny locales make for picnic-worthy settings all around town.
This year, a new picnic experience opened at the former summer "cottages" of America's wealthiest, the Newport Mansions, and it’s designed for people who want to enjoy the coast's perfect weather alongside some of the most stunning architecture and garden scapes in New England. The Preservation Society of Newport County’s new “Stroll the Gardens and Grounds” gives visitors the opportunity to picnic on the historic landscapes of The Breakers and The Elms in Newport, and Green Animals Topiary Garden in Portsmouth.
The new experience includes outdoor-only access to all three properties, and does not include interior entry to The Breakers, The Elms or Brayton House at Green Animals.
All visitors are required to maintain 6 ft. of social distancing and wear face masks while exploring the grounds of the Newport Mansions, as well as while inside the properties.
- The Elms: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, with last admission at 4:00 PM
- The Breakers: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM, with last admission at 5:00 PM
- Green Animals: 10:00 AM - sunset, with last admission at 7:00 PM
$18 for adults and $8 for youth ages 6-17. Ticket includes outdoor-only access to all three properties, which can be visited on different days.
Tickets available now through NewportMansions.org.
LOCAL PICNIC IDEAS:
Pack a blanket and don't forget the most important part: the food. These local spots have just what you need for a picture-perfect picnic.
- Cheshire picnic basket with flatware, plates, wine glasses, etc.: Newport Mansions Store
- Green plaid lawn blanket: Newport Mansions Store
- Votes for Women Tea Towel: Newport Mansions Store
- Newport Coordinate Wine Glasses: Primavera Newport
- Newport Coffee Growler: The Nitro Bar
- Fruit + cookies: Sweet Berry Farm
- Wine: Newport Vineyards | Greenvale Vineyards
- Charcuterie Board: Sharing the Taste
- Honey: Aquidneck Honey
Tag your photos #TheClassicCoast for the chance to be featured on our accounts.