Newport is blessed with some pretty dreamy weather most months out of the year. Plenty of sea breeze and sunny locales make for picnic-worthy settings all around town.
This year welcomes the return of the picnic experience at the former summer "cottages" of America's wealthiest, the Newport Mansions, and it’s designed for people who want to enjoy the coast's perfect weather alongside some of the most stunning architecture and garden scapes in New England. The Preservation Society of Newport County’s “Stroll the Gardens and Grounds” gives visitors the opportunity to picnic on the historic landscapes of The Breakers, The Elms and Marble House in Newport, and Green Animals Topiary Garden in Portsmouth.
Tickets include outdoor-only access to all three properties, and do not include interior entry to The Breakers, The Elms or Brayton House at Green Animals. Open daily, grounds open at 10:00am and close at 6:00pm.
When you're ready, we can't wait to welcome you back to The Classic Coast. Rest assured, the safety and well-being of both visitors and locals remains our top priority. The mask mandate requiring face coverings in Rhode Island has been lifted, however local businesses may ask you to wear a mask when visiting their establishments. Please be prepared for individual business mask policies. Additionally, shops, attractions and tours are monitoring the number of guests at any given time and may ask you to socially distance to enter.
All we ask when you land on these shores is that you play your part in keeping everyone safe. Please be kind, adhere to guidelines and maintain social distancing.
- Marble House: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM, last admission at 5:00 PM
- The Elms: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM, last admission at 5:00 PM
- Green Animals: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM, last admission at 5:00 PM
- The Breakers: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM, last admission at 5:00 PM
$20 for adults and $8 for youth ages 6-17. Ticket includes outdoor-only access to four properties, which can be visited on different days.
Tickets available through NewportMansions.org.
LOCAL PICNIC IDEAS:
Pack a blanket and don't forget the most important part: the food. These local spots have just what you need for a picture-perfect picnic.
- Cheshire picnic basket with flatware, plates, wine glasses, etc.: Newport Mansions Store
- Green plaid lawn blanket: Newport Mansions Store
- Votes for Women Tea Towel: Newport Mansions Store
- Newport Coordinate Wine Glasses: Primavera Newport
- Newport Coffee Growler: The Nitro Bar
- Fruit + cookies: Sweet Berry Farm
- Wine: Newport Vineyards | Greenvale Vineyards
- Charcuterie Board: Sharing the Taste
- Honey: Aquidneck Honey
Tag your photos #TheClassicCoast for the chance to be featured on our accounts.