What: Pedal-powered rail bike tours
Where: Portsmouth, RI
When: Seasonally: Through October 2020
Back in September of 2012, Mary Joy Lu (one of the founders of Rail Explorers along with her husband, Alex Catchpoole) was watching one of her favorite Korean soap operas when became intrigued by a strange contraption being pedaled along a set of railroad tracks. Ten days later, she was on a flight to South Korea to meet the designer and manufacturer of the vehicles. From there, Rail Explorers was born.
These custom-built, pedal-powered rail bikes travel along abandoned railroad tracks starting in Portsmouth and journeying along Narragansett Bay.
Nervous about what to expect? Rail explorers are easy to pedal, the terrain is mostly flat and the ride is relaxing and enjoyable. From couples young and old and groups of friends, to families of all ages and abilities, the pedal powered explorers provide a smooth and comfortable adventure suitable for all.
Choose between two different tours: the Northern Ramble, a six-mile exploration of the historic railroad between Portsmouth and the Sakonnet River (a one-way tour), or the Southern Circuit, a six mile round trip tour (3 miles out, 3 miles back) down towards Newport and back. All tours begin at One Alexander Road at Melville in Portsmouth, Rhode Island and last approximately 90 minutes.
ABOUT THE BIKES
Explorer rail bikes have four steel wheels, hydraulic disc brakes, pedals for each seat, and are comfortable, fun and easy to ride. Although the rail explorers require pedaling, the magic of steel wheels on steel rails makes the experience very different from riding a regular bicycle. Tandem Rail Explorer (2 seats) or Quad Rail Explorer (4 seats) are available.
- All guests are screened for health symptoms upon entry to the Rail Explorers check in area
- Rail bikes are thoroughly disinfected and cleaned between tours
- Check in times have been adjusted to allow more time for riders to maintain safe social distancing during check in and departure times
- Guests are required to use the marked areas for waiting to prevent crowding at check in counters
- Rail Explorers rail bikes are spaced 6-feet apart for loading and unloading
- All tours now operate with a ‘rolling’ departure: Each group boards rail bikes and departs the station in 3-5 minute intervals
Visit railexplorers.net for more information
Tag your photos #TheClassicCoast for the chance to be featured on our accounts.